Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Prepared with the Truth

1 Peter 3: 13-17

"Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. 'Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.' But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil."


When I was younger, I used to believe that I knew very well what the Scripture said. Although I knew that I did not know everything, the things I did know were quite clear and that I knew how to live life according to things I did know. In my passion to help others, I started to share with them how to best live their lives. I also enjoyed debating with those who thought differently. It all seemed very logical.


Unfortunately, when it comes to people, it isn't always logical. People have emotions that plays heavily in their ideas and understanding. To ignore these is to ignore them as a person. The truth will always remain the truth. It will never change, and cannot change. However, how it is expressed can greatly affect how it is received. If the truth is shared in a peaceful, loving, and humble way, then it is more likely to be accepted, if not at least heard. However, if it is done as criticism or causes shame, then it can fall on deaf ears or sometimes cause rebellion against the truth.


We are to be prepared with the truth in all occasions. Such preparation is not just the logistical reasons, but preparation of our mind, spirit, and our emotions. Otherwise, we may be able to state the truth, but it can be clouded by the errors of our emotions.

No comments: