Friday, May 13, 2005

Praying: More Than Wishing

Matthew 6:5-15

"And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." (v. 7-8)

As a child I remember attempting to make justifications to my parents as to how beneficial the things I really desired to be beneficial. I remember tagging along with my parents to this small convenience store packed with very unique and intriguing items. In the middle of the store was Lego toy that shone and vibrated grabbing my attention to take it home. I immediately picked it up, turned around, and began my case to my mom. "Oh what a wonderful educational item that would help me learn to build." "It not only will allow me to build things, but allow me to be very creative." "It will be like daddy when he was a mechanical engineer." In the end, my mom took it from my hand, and purchased it with all the other necessary items. I was so proud back then because I was able to get the toy I desired, but also believed it was due to my persuasive argument.

As a parent now, I realize that it had very little to do with my power of persuasion, but the love of my mother. I would probably not have taken it home if I had not raised it with my mother. However, her decision to purchase it was because of her love. Similarly, God does want us to ask Him for the needs that we require. "You do not have, because you do not ask God. - James 4:2" However, He warns us against babbling. God already knows our situation, and knows our needs better than we do ourselves. Persuasion is not what is asked of us, but simply to know our own needs and simply ask Him. We are to ask with the expectation to hear His voice and learn of His will and desire for us and His answer to us. We are to receive His answers with joy knowing that He has provided the best for us. It is not to be debated, since our faith in Him means we have trust in His answers to us. Let us therefore pray asking Him, but with the expectation to listen and accept His truth and answer... and to follow through.

Our highest privilege is to talk to God; our highest duty is to listen to Him.

No comments: