Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Perfect Drink

John 4:9-14

"Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (v. 13-14)


Just yesterday I went down to the second floor of our building to get a drink from the vending machine. I typically take with me a bottle of water, but on this day I happened to be without. After a long day, and without drinking much at all, I was thirsty. It was quite frustrating to find that it was not working. Granted, I was not dying of thirst, but it just left an unsatisfying and somewhat a helpless feeling.


I have been fortunate enough to never had known what it felt to be dying of thirst, and therefore expending all energies to seek water. However, I have some sense of what it is to feel thirsty and seeking that "perfect" drink to quench it. And if it is not "perfect" and does not satisfy completely, our search continues. As it takes longer than desired and not easily found, our search becomes more desperate and sometimes "clumsy" through compromises.


How about our thirst in life? What do we seek after? We may not be "dying of thirst", but many of us have thirsts yearning to be quenched by that "perfect" drink. It is also with the smaller things that keeps us so busy. What takes up our time?


There is only one "perfect" drink that never runs dry. All we need to do is drink because it is easily given. God is the only one who can satisfy our desires... our heart... our lives. His love is without condition and without limits. What more should we ask for? Why attempt to expend our energies on seeking our own solution, when the best one has already been handed to us. Instead, let us enjoy our time with the Lord who more than quenches our thirst.


"My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water." (Jeremiah 2:13)

No comments: