Saturday, December 03, 2005

Boldness

2 Corinthians 3:7-18

"Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold." (v. 12)


I remember one day as I was rollerblading in a park. It was fairly new to me, and so I was still learning to use these. As I slowly picked up seed, I lost my confidence and ended on the grass. I was quickly embarrassed, and so I quickly looked around to see who may have seen me. No one. However, a girl and her mom caught my attention. It seems as if the girl was learning as well. After the mom gave a demonstration and some instructions, the girl was up and she was riding along. She was doing better than I.


It was amazing to think about how psychology affects our performance. I spent countless hours reading the internet and magazines on the techniques on how to rollerblade. I learned the correct posture, form, and motion. However, as I consciously remind myself of these things, my mind is also actively thinking of how badly I can fall. If I fall, I may break an arm. It would be painful, and I would need to go to the hospital and have a cast placed. A broken arm or hand would mean I couldn't work (since most of my work was on the computer). If I couldn't work could mean I lose my job. If I lose my job, I will lose my house. I couldn't let that happen... I couldn't have my family live on the streets. With that thought, I had stiffened... right unto the grass.


Now a child would most likely not be worried about these things. They couldn't care less about having the right technique. They were just having fun and had all the confidence in the world that they can do it. It is amazing what confidence can do.


With increased confidence, most of us are willing to risk a bit more. Daredevils do it all the time. After several successful tricks they complete, they build their confidence. As they build their confidence, they raise the bar further for a larger thrill.


Similarly, if we know that God is for us, who can be against us? If we are saved, and have eternal life, what is their to fear. Let us have confidence in the Lord, and go out and be who we are. Let us not hide behind who we are as sons and daughters. Let us speak the truth, and share the gift we had received with others.

No comments: