Thursday, December 01, 2005

When I'm Afraid

Psalm 56

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise - in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? I am under vows to you, O God; I will present my thank offerings to you. For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life." (v. 3-4, 10-13)


If we were to add up all the times we either worried or were afraid and the times we spent thinking of circumstances including times we spent preparing for it, I would believe we would find years of wasted time. Although there are some truth to what one CEO had stated that "only the paranoid survive," these are probably very few cases. We should always do our best in everything that we do including preparing for undesirable circumstances. A better statement is to "prepare for the worst, but always hope for the best." If we were to only do one part of this, then our lives would be miserable. Always hoping for the best and not preparing for the worst only invites disaster. To always prepare and have no hope leaves us with a constant gloomy outlook in life.


Fortunately, as sons and daughters of God, we have even greater confidence; "In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?" We must continue to do our best to be prepared. However, we not only have hope, but the confidence that our heavenly Father will deliver us. As long as we walk with Him and place our faith in Him, then we have nothing to be worried about... there should be no fears.


"What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or maine or nakedness or danger or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:31, 35, 37-39)

No comments: